The Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) has found itself in a bind as the role of the administrative director, Ian Andrews, particularly as it relates to signing powers, has not been restored – as mandated – by the board of directors, which is led by Don Anderson.As a result, staff and creditors of the government-run agency are being significantly impacted as health benefits and personal deductions for staff, which have been signed by Andrews, are not being co-signed by Anderson or any other board member.Also, some creditors who have rendered services in various sports development programmes carried out by the government organisation cannot be paid, as Anderson refuses to co-sign the cheques with the administrative director.And only last week, one creditor, Edward Cooke, filed for compensation by the agency through his lawyer, for monies ($619,000) owed by INSPORTS.The issue is long-running, since September last year when Andrews was sent on administrative leave and his signing powers revoked by the board, following appraisal by the Auditor General’s Department.The Jamaica Civil Service Association (JCSA), which mediates on behalf of government workers, intervened and cited discrepancies in the removal, noting that it was unconstitutional.It said the decision to send Andrews on administrative leave was not in line with public-sector leave protocol and instructed Andrews to remain in his job as the board acted irrational and without foundation.The JCSA also insisted that Andrews’ signing powers be restored and even warned against the current dilemma facing the Institute, as a result of the administrative director’s signing restrictions.”This goes against proper governance … and will impair the smooth running of operations,” a portion of the letter from the bargaining unit shared.Further, it said because the bank had already accepted on the board’s request to relieve Andrews of signing power, it called on Anderson to make the corrective changes with the bank to restore such privileges.Since then, the Ministry of Finance and the permanent secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister have instructed Anderson to restore the signing powers of the administrative director. However, he has refused.The request was first made at a meeting between representatives of government ministries, the INSPORTS board and Andrews.In a letter to Anderson dated November 9, 2015, Alison McLean, chief technical director, Ministry of Finance, called for the expedition of the removal of the administrative leave and that “any consequential arrangements that were predicated on that instruction be rescinded from the date of the correspondence as agreed in the October 6, 2015 meeting”.A second letter to Anderson, dated November 18, 2015, from Elaine Foster-Allen, permanent secretary attached to the OPM, instructed: “Following our conversation this morning (Foster-Allen-Anderson), I write to confirm that the directives issued in relation to the administrative leave of administrative director Ian Andrews, which has been withdrawn, also indicated that his authority to sign on behalf of the Institute of Sports has been restored.”Please be kind enough to indicate that this has been done.”When The Gleaner asked Anderson about his refusal to follow the directives, he gave no clear answer.”That is a redundant question (why Andrews’ signing power is not restored). When you spoke to me last week I told you exactly what the position was … The thing about it is that I have answered this question already, unless you are trying to stoke up something else,” he said.”Talk to me in a few days time and all will be clear, hopefully. But I have to be sensible about my response, so later on we will talk,” he promised.
KEVIN Cassidy will not return to the Donegal panel next year, manager Jim McGuinness has said in a radio interview.Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster’s Sunday Sportsound programme, McGuinness said the matter was “done and dusted”.“That was in 2011 and now we are on the brink of 2013 – it’s about looking forward at this stage and there’s nothing left to be said on the matter. “My beliefs and principles in terms of what went on remain,” said McGuinness.Former All Star Cassidy left the Donegal panel after revelations were made in a book last year.Jim McGuinness invited him to return earlier this year in a private meeting but the Gaoth Dobhair man declined, fearing his presence would lead to a media circus.In response to speculation linking him with potential roles at Liverpoool and Celtic Football Clubs, McGuinness said he had had “no contact with Liverpool”. “Celtic invited me over to a Champions League game and I saw round the training facilities, met the staff and had the chance to look at the sports science side of things which I’m extremely interested in.“There were lots of things to pick up in terms of analysing matches.“If I had the chance to go into professional sport it would be something I’d have to look at but my focus is on Donegal and I’m delighted with where we are at, although I want to move the thing forward.”Ulster GAA officials have yet to decide if Donegal’s Ballybofey ground will be used to host the Ulster champions’ 2013 Ulster SFC first round tie with Tyrone next year, but McGuinness is clear about his wishes.“When you are drawn at home you feel entitled to home advantage and we deserve the right to run onto our own pitch as All-Ireland champions. “We will wait for the decision but I hope it will be the right one for Donegal football and our supporters.”McGUINNESS: CASSIDY AFFAIR IS ‘DONE AND DUSTED’ was last modified: October 29th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:McGUINNESS: CASSIDY AFFAIR IS ‘DONE AND DUSTED’