HMS Defender Hosts Qatari Armed Forces

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today HMS Defender Hosts Qatari Armed Forces View post tag: europe View post tag: News by topic View post tag: HMS Defender HMS Defender has hosted representatives from the Qatari Armed Forces during a recent visit to Doha, Qatar. The Type 45 Destroyer, one of the most advanced warships ever built for the Royal UK Navy, welcomed officers from the Navy, Army and Air Force.Senior representatives from the Gulf nation’s Armed Forces took the opportunity to join Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Qatar, Nicholas Hopton, on a visit to the ship as part of the Qatari Staff College Sea Days.Qatari Staff College students spend a year studying the academic side of defence and strategic security, developing an understanding and knowledge of single-service and partnership operations.One of the key elements of the course is to provide the students with an appreciation of the benefits of ‘sea power’ and the visit to Defender provided a practical demonstration of this – especially as her current role focuses on contributing to security in the Middle East.HMS Defender is deployed on operations in the Middle East until the end of the year and will return to her base port in Portsmouth in time for Christmas.[mappress]Press Release, October 03, 2014; Image: UK Navy Authorities View post tag: Qatari Follow @navaltoday View post tag: Navalcenter_img View post tag: middle east View post tag: hosts Share this article October 3, 2014 View post tag: Navy View post tag: Armed View post tag: forces HMS Defender Hosts Qatari Armed Forceslast_img read more

Finsbury invests in bakery divisions as sales drops

first_imgCake and bread manufacturer Finsbury Food Group has revealed group sales revenues dropped to £175.7m from £176.6m the previous year, following the sale of its free-from business in February last year.Second half growth in the UK bakery business reversed the first half decline and sales for the year were broadly flat at £153.7m in the report to the year ending 28 June 2014. Sales in Lightbody Europe, the group’s 50%-owned European business have declined by 1.2% for the full year to £22m. However, the business is in good shape with a shift to higher margins.Profit levels are ahead of last year as a result of introducing actions to increase sales via market activity as well as reduce costs via the benefits from capital investment and overhead reduction programme implemented in the second half. These actions also helped against ongoing cost inflation.In line with its stated strategy, Finsbury has doubled capital investment to more than £6m in the year.Within the UK bakery division, cake capital investment projects successfully completed in the year included the new single serve cake slice ‘snap pack’ line as well as the largest cake bites robotic picking installation in the world. The Nicolas and Harris speciality bread facility expansion, delivering 60% additional space, has also been successfully commissioned and is now fully operational.John Duffy, chief executive, said: “Our continued capital investment programme is heralding positive signs and we are encouraged by the contribution that this has made. Although cost inflation keeps margins under pressure, the strategies we have in place have mitigated against this and with more favourable profit dynamics; we are well placed to take advantage of the market as it improves.”last_img read more

Paul increases turnover to £28.7m

first_imgTurnover at French bakery and café Paul is up 17% in its results for the year ended 31 December 2015, and group turnover increased to £28.7m.Ebitda at the 34-strong French bakery and café brand is up 49% on the previous year, while revenue is up 6.3% on a like-for-like (LFL) basis.Jean-Michel Orieux, chief executive of Paul UK, said: “We are delighted with this extremely strong performance. The improvements and controls put in place from mid-2013 have continued to deliver a better trading result for Paul.“Our like-for-like revenue growth of 6.3% is above market trading and we continue to expand, meeting our target of three stores this year.”He went on to talk about the impact of the new national living wage (NLW) on the company: “Our early adoption of the NLW shows our commitment to the team, whose hard work and passion for artisanal bread and delivering a premium product is evident in our results.”The company has opened four new bakeries, and the brand’s second restaurant format, Le Restaurant de Paul, also opened on the ground floor of the famous Tower 42 skyscraper in London.Three bakeries and nine refurbishments are planned for 2016.This month, Paul launched a new éclair range called Eclectic Éclairs: The Summer Collection.last_img read more

For the first time, more than 20 million tourist arrivals were realized

first_imgSo far this year, most overnight stays came from the markets of Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Poland, Italy, the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom, while from non-European countries most overnight stays came from the United States, Australia, Canada, South Korea and China. Looking at the destinations, most overnight stays were realized in Dubrovnik, Rovinj, Poreč, Split and Medulin. According to the first data of the eVisitor system, which contains tourist traffic realized in the commercial and non-commercial segment and nautical charter, 20.013.805 arrivals (+ 5%) and 107.031.617 overnight stays (+ 2%) were realized in Croatia to date. for the first time exceeded 20 million tourist arrivals in one tourist year. At the same time, for the first time, the number of 107 million overnight stays in the whole of Croatia has been exceeded.  “Croatian tourism has experienced a great boom in the last few years, many new high-quality accommodation facilities have been opened, new offers have been created and tourism has really become a real generator of economic development. This historic result, this challenging tourist year in which we exceeded 20 million tourist arrivals for the first time, is proof and confirmation of the quality synergy of the public and private sectors without which such results would not be possible. The Government of the Republic of Croatia is aware of the importance of tourism and that is why we are continuously working to strengthen the competitiveness of tourism in cooperation with stakeholders in the tourism system so that Croatian tourism will be an example of quality and success in the future. I believe that this record will be a motivation for everyone to continue to build and make Croatian tourism even better. “, concluded Tourism Minister Gary Cappelli. “After exceeding the tourist turnover realized in the whole of last year in October, these historic 20 million tourist arrivals are an additional confirmation of the strength and stability of the Croatian tourist sector, which has achieved new excellent results in this very challenging year. We are facing a demanding 2020 in which our goal will be to maintain positive trends, and that we can succeed in this is confirmed by numerous partners with whom we spoke at one of the world’s largest tourism fairs WTM in London, but also at the largest Chinese import fair China International Import Expo currently being held in Shanghai”, said the director of the CNTB, Kristjan Staničić, adding that a large number of tour operators and airlines are announcing the expansion of the program for Croatia next year.   Today, for the first time in history, more than 20 million tourist arrivals have been made in Croatia.last_img read more

UNICEF Charity Shield Polo:  El-Rufai Lauds Access Bank Partnership

first_imgShare this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Children Day event which remains one of the biggest highlights yet at the ongoing international polo fiesta, has received high profile accolades as an occasion that enables children to cherish their buoyant freedom and rekindle their childhood and the potentials within them.Hundreds of school pupils and their teachers spent the whole day at the foremost Fifth Chukker Polo & Country Club in Kaduna, engaging in various sporting activities and dance with the Mother of the Day, who called on other good spirited organizations and individuals to emulate the Access Bank partnership example.Revered as one of the biggest charity polo tournaments in the world, the charity shield which has been under the exclusive sponsorship of Access Bank for more than a decade now offers four  major prizes, the Usman Dantata, the UNICEF  cup, Access Bank Cup and the High Goal Charity Shield.Fifth Chukker team had earlier in the first stage of the ongoing Access Bank UNICEF Charity Shield International Polo Tournament  upstaged  favourites and former winners, Tila Farms 8-41/2,  to win the prestigious Usman Dantata Cup.The ten-day annual event is a robust corporate social responsibility partnership platform set up in 2003 by Fifth Chukker Polo and Country Club in conjunction with Access Bank Plc. For almost two decades now, this annual event has been raising funds to support UNICEF projects for vulnerable children and the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Kaduna State and its environs.The 2019 grand finale of the premium charity polo extravaganza that was inaugurated in 2003 is billed to climax Saturday at the foremost Kangimi Resort with first class Emirs, the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and several notable personalities in attendance. Kaduna State Government has lauded Access Bank Plc and its partner, Fifth Chukker Polo & Country Polo Club for its leading campaign to alleviate the plights of vulnerable and orphaned children in the state.Wife of Kaduna State Governor, Hajia Aisha Ummi El-Rufai who was the Special Guest of Honour at the Children’s Day event in the ongoing Access Bank UNICEF Charity Shield Polo Tournament in Kaduna thumb up the partners for using the Charity Shield polo platform to enhance the educational and health well being of children in a most special way.“There is an important need for both private and public sectors to do a lot more in support of the Nigerian child, particularly the orphans and vulnerable children to enable them look forward to a better tomorrow,” the Kaduna State First Lady added.last_img read more

Strahan, Guy among 7 elected to Hall of Fame; Bettis, Dungy denied

first_imgIn this Oct. 8, 2006, file photo, New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan reacts after sacking Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell during second quarter NFL football at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. Strahan was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)NEW YORK (AP) — The hang time is over for Ray Guy. The longtime punter for the Oakland Raiders is all by himself once again.After waiting 23 years, Guy is the first punter elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.“Good things are worth waiting for,” Guy said Saturday night after being elected along with six other players. “It’s just a matter of time when it will show up. And I knew it would, sooner or later. It had to, whether it was me or somebody down the road. But sooner or later, it had to show up, because that is a part of a football game.”Defensive end Michael Strahan, receiver Andre Reed, defensive back Aeneas Williams and defensive end Claude Humphrey also were part of the class of 2014. Two first-time eligible players, linebacker Derrick Brooks and offensive tackle Walter Jones, were selected.The announcement was made at the NFL Honors award show, less than 24 hours before the Denver Broncos take on the Seattle Seahawks in the first Super Bowl.Among the finalists who didn’t get in were former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis and former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy.Each incoming Hall of Famer walked to the stage and was announced individually. Strahan, who helped the Giants make two Super Bowls, got a huge cheer from the home crowd.Induction will be on Aug. 1 in Canton, Ohio.Clockwise from top left, defensive back Aeneas Williams, wide receiver Andre Reed, offensive tackle Walter Jones, linebacker Derrick Brooks , defensive lineman Claude Humphrey and punter Ray Guy pose for a photo at the NFL Honors show Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 at Radio City Music Hall in New York. (Photo by Frank Micelotta/Invision for NFL/AP Images)Guy turned the punting job into a defensive weapon after he became the first player at his position to be selected in the first round of the draft in 1973. He made “hang time” part of the football vernacular while playing all of his 207 games in 14 seasons with the Raiders.The Southern Mississippi product averaged 42.4 yards for his career. Only three of his 1,049 punts were blocked, and he had 209 punts downed inside the 20-yard line.“It’s gratifying to now see a punter go into the Hall of Fame,” Guy said, who joins Jan Stenerud as the only kickers enshrined . “Whether it was me or somebody else, they needed representation in that position.”Brooks was the cornerstone of a Bucs defense that led the league in 2002 and ’05, and the NFC five times. He was The Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year when Tampa Bay won its only Super Bowl after the 2002 season.The linebacker never missed a game in his 14 seasons and averaged a remarkable 146 tackles. Six of his 25 interceptions were returned for touchdowns, including a league-record three in ’02.Seattle certainly got a winner when it moved up to the No. 6 spot in the 1997 draft to take Jones. He immediately provided blindside protection for Warren Moon and quickly became the first Seahawks lineman to earn a Pro Bowl spot. He was one of the chief road graders who helped Shaun Alexander rush for 266 yards in a 2001 game — the fourth-highest total in NFL history — and then rush for a team-record 1,880 yards and 28 TDs in his MVP season in 2005.“Coming into the league all I wanted to do was get here, and … say I could play this game,” Jones said. “For me to be here now, and for my team that I started with and finished with, to be here in the Super Bowl is just like the icing on the cake.”Strahan set the NFL record for sacks in a single season, getting 22½ in 2001. The one most people remember is the record-setter in the final game of the regular season, when Green Bay’s Brett Favre seemed to lay down on a play late in the game.While there is controversy about that play, the gap-toothed Strahan was one of the top two-way defensive ends. Younger teammates said he taught them how to work to become NFL players, and he walked away from the NFL after winning the Super Bowl in February 2008.“It’s hard to find guys with everything, but this guy had everything . size, speed, power, toughness, endurance, motor, smarts, leadership, heart, love for the game, but what I admired most about Michael was his pride,” Giants general Jerry Reese said. “No matter what the circumstances were, when he walked out on that field on Sunday, he was going to give it ALL to you. There aren’t many guys who can say that.”Reed came out of little Kutztown (Pa.) University and played his first 15 seasons with Buffalo, getting to four Super Bowls, but never winning one. His final season was with Washington. His 951 career receptions are third in league history, highlighted by nine consecutive seasons of 50-plus catches.Long before people spoke about yards after the catch, Reed was doing it. He finished with 13,198 yards and 87 touchdowns.“Having to wait this long for him is a sin, but the bottom line is he’s in and that’s what counts,” former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly said of Reed’s nine-year wait to get into the Hall.A walk-on at Southern University, Williams was a shutdown cornerback in his 14 NFL seasons, the first 10 with the Cardinals and the last four with the Rams. He had 55 career interceptions, getting at least one in every season except his last. He had five or more in picks in six seasons, with nine being his best in 1994.Williams spent his last four seasons with St. Louis. He started at cornerback for the Rams in the 2001 Super Bowl and played safety in his final two seasons.The Hall of Fame doors finally opened for Humphrey on his 28th year of eligibility and his fifth as a finalist. The durable six-time Pro Bowl pick had 122 career sacks in 14 seasons with the Falcons and Eagles, who acquired him after a brief retirement in the 1978 season.“I never really gave up hope,” said Humphrey, whose only regret was his wife died in July and didn’t get to see his election. “I always figured there was a place for me here.”___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org___AP Sports Writers Tim Booth and Dennis Waszak Jr., and Pro Football Writer Howard Fendrich contributed to this story.last_img read more