Burnley winger McNeil appreciates Dyche freedomby Paul Vegas15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley winger Dwight McNeil appreciates the freedom manager Sean Dyche has granted him.Dyche recently claimed McNeil, who has three goals to his name, will “outgrow” the club and revealed he is wary of “over-coaching” him.”The gaffer will let me figure it out on my own, which I think is good for my development,” McNeil said.”He and the coaches will talk to me when they need to, when I’m doing well and not so well.”They help me in and out of possession because I’m maturing as a player, tactically and physically. I’ll give everything I have got to help the team.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
MONTREAL – The number of sexual assault complaints filed with police and classified as founded increased sharply in Canada after the #MeToo movement went viral in October 2017.The increase was most pronounced in Quebec, according to a study published Thursday by Statistics Canada.Researchers compared two periods — before #MeToo from Jan. 1, 2016 to Sept. 30, 2017, and after from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31, 2017.Quebec saw the largest increase in sexual assaults reported to police, rising 61 per cent after #MeToo. The rate jumped to 20 complaints per 100,000 population from 12.4.Newfoundland and Labrador saw the second highest increase, rising 36 per cent, and Manitoba was next at 27 per cent. The other provinces and territories were below the national average increase of 24 per cent.Nationally, the figures show an average of 74 sexual assaults reported to police per day after #MeToo, compared with 59 per day before.The study looks at sexual assaults reported to police that were subsequently deemed to be a founded criminal offense. It does not include all complaints, and the accusations have not necessarily led to criminal charges.“This sharp increase in police-reported sexual assaults following the #MeToo movement does not necessarily reflect a rise in the prevalence of sexual assaults in Canada, but is likely attributable to a combination of factors, including an increased willingness of victims to report to police,” the study’s authors wrote.Other factors include heightened awareness of what constitutes sexual assault, public messages from police forces urging victims to come forward, and changes in police practices when it comes to classifying sexual assaults as founded or unfounded.The rise was most marked in Quebec, where several high-profile cases of alleged misconduct led to sustained media and police attention.“For example, in October 2017, the Montreal Police Service implemented a dedicated hotline for reporting sexual assaults in the wake of #MeToo and high-profile accusations of sexual assault and harassment, both internationally and within Quebec,” the report stated.Marie-Christine Michaud, the spokeswoman for a crime victims’ assistance centre, said the movement played an important role in encouraging victims who had previously been reluctant to come forward.“The message that was sent, people felt that if they denounced or went for help, we would believe them,” she said.The report noted that 2017 recorded the highest-number of police-reported assaults since 1998, due in large part to the spike in reports in the last three months after #MeToo began.And contrary to assumptions that most complaints stemmed from long-past incidents, three out of four complainants were reporting incidents that had occurred within the previous month.The biggest rise in complaints occurred in urban areas, with Quebec City topping the list with a 78 per cent increase. Sherbrooke, Que. came second, while Brantford, Ont. recorded the third-biggest hike.Nine out of 10 victims were female.And the number of reported assaults on school campuses — while still a minority of reported cases — rose by 59 per cent.
Jose Mourinho will manage the England team alongside Sam Allardyce with Claudio Ranieri taking charge of the Rest of The World for this year’s 10th anniversary of Soccer Aid.The two star-studded squads will once again go head to head in what promises to be another electrifying match on Sunday 5th June, broadcast live on ITV from Manchester United’s legendary Old Trafford Stadium, all in aid of UNICEF, the world’s leading children’s organisation.Jose Mourinho says: “I want to be the first one to win the Soccer Aid trophy for both teams, England and the Rest of the World. Sam and I will make a very good partnership and it will be a great feeling for Claudio to finally lose a match! I hope the organisers can help me now with an English passport!!”Claudio Ranieri adds: “Soccer Aid is a fantastic event, raising money for an amazing children’s charity in Unicef. For Soccer Aid’s 10th anniversary, it is a great honour that Robbie Williams has asked me to manage the Rest of the World XI and I’m looking forward to helping them defend their title!”Joining Jose Mourinho and Sam Allardyce will be assistant manager and Unicef UK Ambassador Robbie Williams, with Bradley Walsh, once again on hand as the morale boosting coach. England’s celebrities this year are One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson, pop star Olly Murs, TV and Heart FM presenter Mark Wright, pop star and presenter Marvin Humes; comedian Paddy McGuinness, Jonathan Wilkes, GMB’s Ben Shephard, comedians Jack Whitehall and John Bishop with TV and Heart FM presenter Jamie Theakston in goal.Claudio Ranieri’s Rest of the World team includes; Unicef UK Ambassador and Captain Michael Sheen, Michelin-starred Chef Gordon Ramsay, pop star and presenter Nicky Byrne plus Kiss FM and ITV’s Bang on the Money presenter Rickie Haywood-Williams.The tenth anniversary match promises to be bigger, better and bolder than ever before, as the world’s biggest stars from sport, music, television and film play in a jaw-dropping game to raise money and vital support for Unicef’s work for children in danger.Soccer Aid is the brainchild of Robbie Williams and Jonathan Wilkes and 100% of all public donations will go towards supporting the vital work of Unicef. The money raised through profits from ticket sales will add to the incredible £17 million that has already been raised for Unicef to help provide children life-saving food, vaccines and clean water, as well as protecting them from violence, exploitation and abuse.The biennial live event will be hosted by Soccer Aid veteran Dermot O’Leary with Sky Sports News presenter Kirsty Gallacher once again pitch side to report on all the action as it happens.This will be the sixth Soccer Aid event, with previous matches held at Wembley in 2008 and at Old Trafford in 2006, 2010, 2012 and 2014 raising over £17 million in total for Unicef.Soccer Aid’s Social Media campaign can be followed on Facebook at ‘Soccer Aid’ and @SoccerAid on Twitter and Instagram, also using the hashtag #SoccerAidTickets now on sale for Soccer Aid 2016, call 0845 456 2016 or visit manutd.com/socceraid.Booking fee applies. Calls charged at 0.75p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.Go to www.unicef.org.uk/socceraid to find out more.
OSU senior forward Michela Paradiso (9) during a game against Purdue on Oct. 9 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Credit: Anbo Yao / Lantern photographerThe Ohio State women’s soccer team is headed to the Big Ten tournament semifinals after an upset victory in Madison, Wisconsin, defeating the Wisconsin Badgers 2-1. The Buckeyes entered Sunday’s match as the No. 7 seed, with the Badgers holding the No. 2 seed in the Big Ten after the teams went 5-4-2 and 8-2-1 in regular-season conference play, respectively.With the win, the Buckeyes are now 11-5-3 overall on the year.OSU was first to get on the scoreboard in the 30th minute when senior midfielder/forward Michela Paradiso was taken down in the box and converted the ensuing penalty kick.The penalty score was Paradiso’s third goal in the last two games after a two-goal performance in OSU’s regular-season finale. Two of the Columbus native’s goals in the span were off of penalty kicks.Four minutes after the opening score, junior defender Nicole Miyashiro shot a cross from the right wing and sophomore forward Sammy Edwards headed it in from six yards out to grab a 2-0 lead in front of the crowd of 478.The Buckeyes continued to attack, nearly taking a 3-0 lead a minute later when junior forward Nichelle Prince played a low strike, but her shot narrowly missed the far post.OSU sat atop the Badgers 2-0 heading into halftime. Shots were knotted at 8-8 at the break.Prince played a big role in maintaining the lead in the second half, as she pressured the Badger defense throughout much of the final 45 minutes.However, in the 71st minute the Badgers cut the lead in half when redshirt senior forward Nikki Greenhalgh finished from inside the box after a loose ball off a corner kick.In the 75th minute, the Badgers had consecutive chances off a corner to level the match but both were blocked.The second half consisted of very physical play, and the Badgers pushed until the final buzzer to even the game at 2.With 20 seconds remaining, the Badgers had a final shot attempt off a header, but the attempt missed wide left to seal the upset win for the visitors.For the game, Wisconsin held a 22-10 lead in shots, 10-4 on goal. The second half was all Badgers, as they outshot OSU 14-2 in the latter stanza.OSU goalkeeper Devon Kerr played an impressive game in the net, making nine of 10 saves to improve her record to 5-0-1 in her freshman season. After splitting time in net with redshirt junior Jillian McVicker throughout the season, Kerr seems to have displaced her at the tailend on the depth chart, as she made her second consecutive start.OSU will look to pull off another upset on Friday, as it is set to play the No. 3-seeded Rutgers Scarlet Knights in State College, Pennsylvania. Kickoff time is yet to be announced.