Controversy over Guyanese fishermen detained in Suriname being addressed – Trotman

first_imgIn seeking to address the concerns of an ongoing river dispute which had led to the detention of severalNatural Resources Minister Raphael TrotmanIndigenous fishermen in the Orealla environs, President of Guyana David Granger recently met his Surinamese counterpart Dési Bouterse to discuss, among other issues, the territorial spat.This was revealed by Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman at the National Toshao Conference (NTC) on Wednesday at the Arthur Chung Convention Centre at Liliendaal, East Coast Demerara.The revelations were disclosed after Orealla Toshao, David Henry, expressed fear over the actions by tje Suriname military, who earlier this year, detained nine fishermen from the Orealla/Siparuta district whilst the fishermen had been plying their trade in the Corentyne River, their only means of sustenance.“If the Suriname [military] do more seriously, we will suffer,” the Toshao stated. He then asked the Natural Resources Minister to explain Government’s position on the river dispute and its plans to ensure the safety of the Amerindian fishermen.In response, Minister Trotman opined that this dispute is a matter which has “besieged Guyana” for some time, noting that Government, through many avenues, is advocating for the issue to be resolved. He informed that the Surinamese patrols are still continuing.“We are quite aware of presence of Surinamese patrols on the river [and] the President himself is intricately and actively involved…[Granger] recently met with the President of Suriname and the matter is on the agenda,” Trotman noted. He added that the Public Security Ministry is involved while pointing out that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is actually “handling” the issue.It was in January this year that reports surfaced of the detention, with the Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs Ministry later announcing that it had commenced investigations on the matter involving the Dutch-speaking country.The nine men who had been detained in Suriname were later released. The men – Armaan Edwards, Genovese Davair, Alistair Peneux, George Edwards, Ackley Felix, Bob Peneux, Rodrick Herman, Edward Herman and Clifton Edwards – had claimed that they had been engaged in subsistence fishing in the Corentyne River at the time of their detention.The Ministry in a release had noted that the men were using hooks and lines and were in small boats and canoes. According to the statement, the men had been taken some 30 miles upriver to Apoera in Suriname where that country’s military had processed and later released them.“Some had to paddle for hours to get back home. The matter was immediately reported to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and is engaging that Ministry’s attention,” the ministry had stated.That incident was not the first of its kind. In 2000, Suriname gunboats removed a Canadian oil drilling company which had been given permission by the Guyana Government to search for oil in the Corentyne.last_img read more

Missing Boy Scout found near camp

first_imgMcGRADY, N.C. – A 12-year-old Boy Scout whose favorite book was about a youngster lost in the wilderness now has his own harrowing survival tale to tell after rescuers found him Tuesday, dehydrated and disoriented from four days in the wooded mountains of North Carolina. A rescue dog picked up Michael Auberry’s scent less than a mile from the campsite where he had wandered away from his troop Saturday. The boy’s father speculated that he was simply homesick and wanted to hitchhike home. The disappearance touched off an intensive search involving bloodhounds, heat-seeking helicopters and dozens of volunteers on foot. “He saw the helicopters and heard people calling him, but he yelled back and they didn’t hear him,” said his father, Kent Auberry of Greensboro. “He’s very tired. He’s very dehydrated. But he came through this in unbelievable fashion.” With tears in his eyes, Auberry added: “To have our son back is a tremendous blessing.” Aside from a few cuts and scratches, Michael was in good health and could walk and talk. Because he had been without food and water, he was carried on a stretcher to a nearby road and then taken to see his parents. “A lot of tears, a lot of hugs,” said Tina White, spokeswoman for the National Park Service. Later, Michael went by ambulance to a medical center. Along the way, he received IV fluids to help him rehydrate and told his father he wanted to sleep, said ambulance driver Bud Lane. Hours earlier, the boy’s father had talked about one of Michael’s favorite books when he was younger, a story titled “Hatchet” about a boy whose plane crashes in the wilderness, and how the boy survives on his own. “I think he’s got some of that book in his mind,” said Kent Auberry.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! It was not immediately clear exactly how the boy was able to survive or whether he put any of his Scout wilderness training to use. A few hours after an emotional reunion, Kent Auberry said he still didn’t know much about his son’s ordeal, mostly because he decided not to ask too many questions. “What he tells us is he was on the move,” Auberry said. “He slept in tree branches. He curled up under rocks.” Michael had worn two jackets, one of them fleece, and was believed to have a mess kit and potato chips with him when he disappeared. He told the rescue team he had been drinking water from streams, and lost his hat and glasses in the woods. Searchers spotted Michael walking along a stream before he saw them. “They called his name. He didn’t respond … Once they said, `We’re here to rescue you,’ the first thing he said is he wanted a helicopter ride out of there,” said Blue Ridge Parkway ranger David Bauer. last_img