Two-Sport High School Star Announces Major Commitment

first_imgA general view of an Oklahoma Sooners football game.NORMAN, OK – NOVEMBER 25: The Oklahoma Sooners and West Virginia Mountaineers in between plays at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on November 25, 2017 in Norman, Oklahoma. Oklahoma defeated West Virginia 59-31. (Photo by Brett Deering/Getty Images)A two-sport high school star recruit has announced his commitment.Cade Horton, a baseball-football star out of Norman High School in Oklahoma, will be staying home for college.The star quarterback/shortstop announced his commitment to Oklahoma.Horton will be playing both football and baseball for the Sooners.“Excited to announce that I have committed to The University Oklahoma to play both baseball and football!” he announced.Excited to announce that I have committed to The University Oklahoma to play both baseball and football! #BOOMER pic.twitter.com/H9eEqaedNj— Cade Horton (@cadehorton14) January 15, 2019Horton had been committed to play baseball at Ole Miss, which boasts one of the country’s top programs.Norman High’s Cade Horton (@cadehorton14) commits to Oklahoma for football, baseball. https://t.co/rHP0ydTIkf | #Sooners #okpreps pic.twitter.com/VxgmnRfwuE— Tyler Palmateer (@Tpalmateer83) January 15, 2019The shortstop/quarterback met with Lincoln Riley before the fall, though, and was told he could play both sports at OU.From newsok.com:He was sitting across from University of Oklahoma football coach Lincoln Riley learning he has the chance to join the football team should he accept a scholarship offer from the baseball team. He could become the Sooners’ next Kyler Murray or Cody Thomas, quarterbacks and baseball stars.“It’s a weird feeling looking up to them and being compared to them,” Horton said during a break Monday in Norman’s first practice of the fall. “It’s a good feeling. I don’t know. It’s weird, to be honest.”Horton has embraced the opportunity, though for the time being he remains committed to Ole Miss.Horton is committed to Ole Miss no longer. He’ll be playing for the Sooners.last_img read more

Health unions in new public pay talks as Croke Park cuts are

first_imgREPRESENTATIVES OF THE public sector health unions are this evening attending talks at the Labour Relations Commission, to discuss the possibility of amending the rejected Croke Park 2 pay deal.The Irish Medical Organisation and the Irish Nurses & Midwives Organisation are attending the talks, which are being led by LRC chairman Kieran Mulvey.A number of other sectoral unions have already attended talks, which are aimed at securing a deal with public workers on how to reduce the government’s pay bill without requiring unilateral pay cuts.Some progress was made yesterday, with the terms of the Croke Park 2 deal – which was rejected by a majority of public workers in union ballots last month – being adjusted somewhat.Plans to delay increments to workers on over €65,000 – which were due to be frozen for three years – have been changed; instead, the second and third increases due after July 1 will each be subject to a six-month delay.While there will also be pay cuts for staff earning over that amount, their cuts will be restored in two phases – in April 2017 and January 2018. Those earning over €100,000 would not have their pay restored, however.The proposals to extend the working week to a minimum of 37 hours have remained, but the extension will not take immediate effect in July as previously planned.Instead the working week would be extended by a maximum of two hours and 15 minutes – the equivalent of 27 minutes a day – from this July. The remaining increases would be deferred for two years.It is also thought that arrangements with Garda representatives have resulted in agreements to reduce leave entitlements, but maintain some of the premium payments which had previously been slated for abolition.Read: Howlin: It’s in personal interests of public workers to accept pay cutslast_img read more