New Delhi: After Delhi’s gruesome Nirbhaya gang rape that shook the country seven years ago, the Ordnance Factory in Kanpur came out with a light-weight revolver, especially designed for women. Named Nirbheek, to deter recurrence of such a case, the revolver has so far sold around 2,500 pieces mainly in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. “Nirbheek was launched as a robust and handy self-defence weapon, which could easily be carried by women in their purses,” said a representative of Ordnance Factory Board, while showcasing the revolver at the International Police Expo here. Also Read – Gurdwara Bangla Sahib bans single use plastic “And the revolver has seen good results. Within the first five years of its launch, it has witnessed sales of over 2,500 units. The current batch in the factory is under 2700 series,” said a representative. Weighing about 500 gm against a regular revolver that weighs over 700 gm, the officials credit the light weight and low maintenance of the revolver for its success. The sales number are incredible despite the weapon being a bit expensive. Against a normal revolver that costs Rs 1 lakh, Nirbheek was launched with Rs 1.20 lakh price tag that went up to Rs 1.40 lakh after inclusion of Goods and Services Tax. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder Nirbheek can easily aim a target at 10 meters, but the Ordnance Factory claims the revolver comes with an effective range of 15 meters and a 0.32 (7.65mm) bore calibre. Apart from bringing down the weight of the revolver, the Ordnance factory made sure that the women did not have to spend a lot of time on its maintenance. Nirbheek is manufactured with titanium alloy metal, which is rust-proof and easy to maintain. “The sales numbers indicate that women in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and Haryana have also decided to put their money on it,” the representative added.
Brock University’s Board of Trustees and CUPE Local 4207-3 have ratified the collective agreement that was reached in mediated talks on April 3.The Union represents 38 ESL instructors at Brock who have been on strike since March 26. Both parties worked with a provincially-appointed mediator to reach the tentative agreement.“This has been a difficult round of negotiations,” says Murray Knuttila, Provost and Vice-President, Academic. “We’re pleased that this agreement will end the current strike, allowing ESL instructors to return to work.”Academic classes and activities for Thursday April 5 are expected to operate on a normal schedule and the exam period will commence on April 12 as planned.Students with questions about the status of their academic classes should contact their course instructors, as well as check their Brock email or Sakai.RELATED POSTS:Brock University and CUPE 4207-3 reach tentative deal (April 3, 2012)University and Union to meet with Mediator (April 2, 2012)Anticipate continued delays when entering Brock campus (April 1, 2012)Brock Provost speaks to concerns about academic implications of strike (March 29, 2012)University remains available to meet with Union (March 27, 2012)Consider alternatives to deal with Brock traffic and parking delays (March 26, 2012)Statement from Brock University regarding labour disruption (March 26, 2012)ESL instructors on strike at Brock (March 25, 2012)Bargaining update involving University and CUPE Local 4207 Unit 3 (March 22, 2012)