New Delhi: After Delhi’s gruesome Nirbhaya gang rape that shook the country seven years ago, the Ordnance Factory in Kanpur came out with a light-weight revolver, especially designed for women. Named Nirbheek, to deter recurrence of such a case, the revolver has so far sold around 2,500 pieces mainly in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. “Nirbheek was launched as a robust and handy self-defence weapon, which could easily be carried by women in their purses,” said a representative of Ordnance Factory Board, while showcasing the revolver at the International Police Expo here. Also Read – Gurdwara Bangla Sahib bans single use plastic “And the revolver has seen good results. Within the first five years of its launch, it has witnessed sales of over 2,500 units. The current batch in the factory is under 2700 series,” said a representative. Weighing about 500 gm against a regular revolver that weighs over 700 gm, the officials credit the light weight and low maintenance of the revolver for its success. The sales number are incredible despite the weapon being a bit expensive. Against a normal revolver that costs Rs 1 lakh, Nirbheek was launched with Rs 1.20 lakh price tag that went up to Rs 1.40 lakh after inclusion of Goods and Services Tax. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder Nirbheek can easily aim a target at 10 meters, but the Ordnance Factory claims the revolver comes with an effective range of 15 meters and a 0.32 (7.65mm) bore calibre. Apart from bringing down the weight of the revolver, the Ordnance factory made sure that the women did not have to spend a lot of time on its maintenance. Nirbheek is manufactured with titanium alloy metal, which is rust-proof and easy to maintain. “The sales numbers indicate that women in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and Haryana have also decided to put their money on it,” the representative added.
OAKVILLE, Ont. — Ford Motor’s Canadian subsidiary is investing $700 million at its Oakville assembly plant west of Toronto, a move that it says will support thousands of jobs and increase the automaker’s spending on Canadian-made parts.It says several new models will be brought to the plant to meet demand in North America and elsewhere.Industry Minister James Moore with be the plant this morning for a press conference and is expected to announce a Federal contribution.The Oakville plant currently makes the Ford Edge, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKT.The automaker’s president for the Americas, Joe Hinrichs, says the investment will mean Ford’s spending on Canadian-made auto parts will increase by about $200 million to a total of nearly $4 billion annually.Ford says the investment will secure more than 2,800 jobs.“This investment is helping us find much needed capacity for global products and securing jobs, and it is positioning Oakville as one of the most competitive and important facilities in the Ford system,” Hinrichs said in a statement.Reuters reported on Wednesday that the next generation of the Edge and MKX crossover utility vehicles would be assembled at the plant.U.S. car sales were above expectations in August as consumers, after years of putting off purchases of new cars, took advantage of still-low interest rates and snapped up a wide range of vehicles from pickup trucks to luxury sedans.Ford’s car sales in Canada were higher than those of Chrysler Group and General Motors Co in August.
In a statement released today, the Council’s President, Ambassador Baudelaire Ndong Ella (Gabon), announced that Mary McGowan Davis (United States) will join William Schabas (Canada) and Doudou Diène (Senegal) whose appointments were announced on 11 August. The previously appointed Amal Alamuddin (United Kingdom) was unable to serve due to prior commitments.Ms. Davis is from the United States and has served as a Justice for the State of New York and as a federal prosecutor during the course of a 24-year career. She also has extensive experience in the fields of international human rights law and has served as Chair on a UN Committee tasked with following up on the findings of the Gaza conflict that occurred between December 2008 and January 2009.The Independent International Commission of Inquiry – launched by the Human Rights Council on 23 July – is charged with investigating human rights violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, in particular the occupied Gaza Strip. It plans to investigate all violations of human rights and humanitarian law since the current military operations began in mid-June.As it stands now, the cumulative death toll among Palestinians stands at 2,076. Some 1,454 – 70 per cent – are believed to be civilians, including 491 children and 253 women, according to the UN Office of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Out of the 2,076 killed, 253 are believed to be militants, and the status of a further 369 killed Palestinians is still to be determined.Meanwhile, UNRWA said today that its schools along with Government-run schools are not ready for the new school year in Gaza, which was set to begin yesterday. More than 200 schools which were affected by shelling need to be repaired, including 22 which have been completely destroyed. In the meantime, UNRWA said its TV station will run education programs at emergency shelters and will expand psychosocial work with humanitarian organizations.